PredPol’s Technology Helps Law Enforcement Agencies Prevent Crime
PredPol’s technology has been helping law enforcement agencies to dramatically reduce crime in jurisdictions of all types and sizes, across the U.S. and overseas. Since 2013, Atlanta and Los Angeles have reduced specific crimes in targeted areas at rates ranging from nearly 10% to over 20%. Smaller jurisdictions, such as Norcross, Georgia, have seen nearly a 30% reduction in burglaries and robberies; in Alhambra, California, auto burglaries have dropped 32% since the software technology was deployed.
“We have seen anywhere from 15 to 30 percent in reduction in burglaries and robberies. I don’t care how science fiction or how far out there it is, the proof is in the pudding.” Norcross, GA Police Lt. Bill Grogan (CBS 46 Atlanta, December, 2013)
The Crime Prediction Algorithm
Specific to Crime Types
Using advanced mathematics and computer learning, PredPol’s algorithms predict many types of crime, including property crimes, drug incidents, gang activity, and gun violence, as well as traffic accidents. Only three pieces of data are used to make predictions – type of crime, place of crime, and time of crime. No personal data is utilized in making these predictions.
Crime analysts and command staff using PredPol are 100% more effective than they are with traditional hotspot mapping at predicting where and when crimes are likely to occur. That means officers have twice as many opportunities to deter and reduce crime.
“We can look at overall crime, or we can go to a particular zone…simply, the type of crime, the time of day the incident happened, and the location. They run it through their mathematical algorithm, and the end result is boxes.” Atlanta, GA Police Department Lt. LeAnn Browning (WSB-TV 2 Atlanta, September, 2013)
PredPol Technology Features
Flexible & Intuitive Usability
- For officers, PredPol’s information is accessible from any tech device or on paper.
- For analysts, PredPol’s tool can be set up within days and generates its actionable predictions in one click of a mouse.
- For managers, there is no new hardware, no additional technical staff, and no budget-busting installation fees. Training is simple, short, and intuitive. A very competitive annual subscription cost keeps the program running.
Secure & Reliable Accessibility
- The tool is run on a secure, cloud-based software-as-a-service (SaaS) platform.
- Personal information about victims, offenders, or law enforcement is NOT collected, ever.
- All of PredPol’s data processing facilities employ key card protocols, biometric scanning, and round-the-clock interior and exterior surveillance.
“The theory is that you prevent them from committing the crime to begin with…Burglars and thieves work in a mathematical way, whether they know it or not.” Modesto Police Chief Galen Carroll (Modesto Bee, July 27, 2014)
Defining Predictive Policing Technology
PredPol IS NOT:
- Mapping of past crimes or another ‘hotspot’ tool
- A predictor of who will commit crimes
- Profiling of individuals or demographic groups
- A replacement for veterans’ or analysts’ intuition and experience
- New hardware or additional hiring
- A tool to increase law enforcement’s odds of stopping crime
- A predictor of where and when a type of crime is most likely to occur
- A technology for any jurisdiction of any size
- A way to bring newer officers up to speed faster
- Easily accessible and available immediately where and when it is needed